- Multimedia journalist with extensive experience working for print and broadcast media; Superior writing, research, interviewing and editing skills; highly organized; able to work across platforms, quickly and accurately under deadline.
- Masters, U.C. Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, Berkeley, CA (GPA 3.99/4.0)
Graduated May 2013
- B.A. in Politics, Pomona College, Claremont, CA (GPA 3.7/4.0)
Graduated: May 2011
Soccer Reporter, The Oregonian, Portland, OR
August 2013 – Present
- Cover issues, trends and enterprise stories on the soccer beat. Pitch and write/produce multiple stories and videos each day. Lead reporter for the Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns.
- Use social media to promote stories and engage with readers on a daily basis.
Assistant Editor and Reporter, Mission Local (missionlocal.org), San Francisco, CA
August 2011 – July 2013
- Assign and edit stories, manage website and social media accounts; sole monthly weekend editor; cover city and community politics/sports in the Mission District of San Francisco.
- Pitch/write and produce print or multimedia pieces weekly; write news, feature, and enterprise stories on deadline; use geocommons.com, Photoshop, HTML5, CSS, and jQuery to produce maps and info graphics for the web; produce short videos and photo/audio slideshows for the web.
Political Reporting Intern, Los Angeles Times/Tribune Co., Washington, DC
May 2012 – August 2012
- Pitched and wrote daily articles on deadline for the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun, and affiliates; covered federal departments and Congress along with other national political stories.
- Responsible for daily pitching and writing stories on deadline, as well as contributing to Los Angeles Times blogs.
Freelance Sports Reporter/Intern, The Oregonian, Portland, Oregon
May 2011 – Present
- Freelance on a regular basis. Shoot and edit video for the web with iPhone.
- Pitched/wrote sports news, features, and enterprise articles for sports section of Oregon’s leading daily; covered Major League Soccer, NCAA soccer, NCAA football, NCAA track and field, prep softball, and pro-baseball.
- Beat reporter for the Portland Timbers: wrote features/profiles; wrote gamers on tight deadlines for late night matches.
- Wrote blog posts using Moveable Type; shot video of Portland Timbers for web; maintained online chat and live blog.
Freelance Sports Reporter/Intern, Marin Independent Journal, Novato, CA
April 2010 – Present
- Freelance on a regular basis. Pitch and write feature sports articles.
- Wrote sports news, features, profiles, and enterprise articles for a daily newspaper; covered professional baseball games, interviewed players and wrote game day articles; edited sports pages/completed page layout under press deadline.
- Pitched and wrote an in-depth award winning enterprise story on sports performance anxiety.
Reporting Intern/Social Media Administrator, Wireless and Mobile News, Virtual
August 2010 – May 2011
- Wrote/published online news and feature articles about technology; edited website; wrote style guide for website.
- Administrated/managed social media; updated design; facilitated discussion; generated interest to attract more fans.
Sports Desk Intern, KRON4 News, San Francisco, CA
May 2009 – July 2009
- Assisted sports producer: logged games/chose shots to be aired; wrote daily scripts for Sports Anchor.
- Pitched and worked on stories related to daily national sports news; completed background research on in-studio guests.
Journalism Intern, Claremont Courier, Claremont, CA
September 2008 – May 2009
- Reported/produced feature stories and news articles for a city bi-weekly paper; covered local government politics.
Newsroom Intern, KPFA Radio (News Department), Berkeley, CA
June 2008 – August 2008
- Reported for the daily news show: interviewed sources, wrote articles, edited sound, and broadcast stories.
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
- The Atavist’s Digital Storymakers Award runner-up (2013).
- Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Winner (2013, 2014).
- White House Correspondents’ Association Scholarship Recipient (2012).
- Winner of the California Newspaper Publishers Association Better Newspapers Contest (2010).
- Member: Society of Professional Journalists, National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Online News Association.