- Multimedia journalist with extensive experience working for print and broadcast media; Superior writing, research, interviewing and editing skills; highly organized; able to work across platforms, quickly and accurately under deadline.
- Masters, U.C. Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, Berkeley, CA (GPA 3.99/4.0)
Graduated May 2013
- B.A. in Politics, Pomona College, Claremont, CA (GPA 3.7/4.0)
Graduated: May 2011
- Skilled in Adobe CS6 (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, InDesign), Final Cut Pro, Final Cut X, GarageBand, HTML, CSS, WordPress, Movable Type, Microsoft Office and using DSLR cameras for photography and video.
Soccer Reporter, The Oregonian, Portland, OR
August 2013 – Present
- Cover issues, trends and enterprise stories on the soccer beat. Pitch and write/produce multiple stories and videos each day. Lead reporter for the Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns.
- Co-host of a popular weekly podcast called Soccer Made in Portland.
- Use social media to promote stories and engage with readers on a daily basis.
Assistant Editor and Reporter, Mission Local (missionlocal.org), San Francisco, CA
August 2011 – July 2013
- Assign and edit stories, manage website and social media accounts; sole monthly weekend editor; cover city and community politics/sports in the Mission District of San Francisco.
- Pitch/write and produce print or multimedia pieces weekly; write news, feature, and enterprise stories on deadline; use geocommons.com, Photoshop, HTML5, CSS, and jQuery to produce maps and info graphics for the web; produce short videos and photo/audio slideshows for the web.
Political Reporting Intern, Los Angeles Times/Tribune Co., Washington, DC
May 2012 – August 2012
- Pitched and wrote daily articles on deadline for the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Baltimore Sun, and affiliates; covered federal departments and Congress along with other national political stories.
- Responsible for daily pitching and writing stories on deadline, as well as contributing to Los Angeles Times blogs.
Freelance Sports Reporter/Intern, The Oregonian, Portland, Oregon
May 2011 – Present
- Freelance on a regular basis. Shoot and edit video for the web with iPhone.
- Pitched/wrote sports news, features, and enterprise articles for sports section of Oregon’s leading daily; covered Major League Soccer, NCAA soccer, NCAA football, NCAA track and field, prep softball, and pro-baseball.
- Beat reporter for the Portland Timbers: wrote features/profiles; wrote gamers on tight deadlines for late night matches.
- Wrote blog posts using Moveable Type; shot video of Portland Timbers for web; maintained online chat and live blog.
Freelance Sports Reporter/Intern, Marin Independent Journal, Novato, CA
April 2010 – Present
- Freelance on a regular basis. Pitch and write feature sports articles.
- Wrote sports news, features, profiles, and enterprise articles for a daily newspaper; covered professional baseball games, interviewed players and wrote game day articles; edited sports pages/completed page layout under press deadline.
- Pitched and wrote an in-depth award winning enterprise story on sports performance anxiety.
Reporting Intern/Social Media Administrator, Wireless and Mobile News, Virtual
August 2010 – May 2011
- Wrote/published online news and feature articles about technology; edited website; wrote style guide for website.
- Administrated/managed social media; updated design; facilitated discussion; generated interest to attract more fans.
Sports Desk Intern, KRON4 News, San Francisco, CA
May 2009 – July 2009
- Assisted sports producer: logged games/chose shots to be aired; wrote daily scripts for Sports Anchor.
- Pitched and worked on stories related to daily national sports news; completed background research on in-studio guests.
Journalism Intern, Claremont Courier, Claremont, CA
September 2008 – May 2009
- Reported/produced feature stories and news articles for a city bi-weekly paper; covered local government politics.
Newsroom Intern, KPFA Radio (News Department), Berkeley, CA
June 2008 – August 2008
- Reported for the daily news show: interviewed sources, wrote articles, edited sound, and broadcast stories.
AWARDS AND AFFILIATIONS
- The Atavist’s Digital Storymakers Award runner-up (2013).
- Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence Winner (2013, 2014).
- White House Correspondents’ Association Scholarship Recipient (2012).
- Winner of the California Newspaper Publishers Association Better Newspapers Contest (2010).
- Member: Society of Professional Journalists, National Association of Hispanic Journalists, Online News Association.